Sorex Pro A-Gain defective?

Discussion in 'Sorex Pro' started by FschJg, Aug 30, 2016.

1. FschJg

FschJg Guest

Local Time:
    5:31 PM
    So my Sorex Pro returned from Bulgaria today with the A-Gain fitted. My first test in the yard went ok but after about 5 minutes I got an overload wit A-Gain on 5. I took the gain back at about 2 and it was ok. Any higer setting than 2-3 and I get an overload. So even wit the coil 1.5m above ground I will get an overload. So here is what I tried so far:

1. Factory reset - still overload
    2. Different coil - still overload
    3. Coil adaptation - still overload
    4. Sens back to 8 - still overload.
    5. Gain back to 4, A-Gain set to 5 - still overload

I also noticed that the machine won't ground balance. First I thought the coil was broken, I got the new 7kHz DD coil, but even my 7kHz coil from my MFD will produce the overload. Is the machine defective or is it normal that with the menu gain on 6, the A-Gain can not be higher than 3, even with the coil high above ground?

Thanks for your input
    Hagen

2. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Administrator Staff Member

Address:
    Saint Petersburg, Russia
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    7:31 PM
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) Ultra
    Hi Hagen,
    It's not an issue, yr A-Gain is Ok. Pls read thread "A-Gain (Analog Gain) @ Sorex Pro" starting from this post.
    In yr case setting Gain (menu) on 6 and A-gain on 5 is equal to 75%-80% of maximum S-Pro's output. If you want to allocate more "space" for "overall" Gain at A-Gain, set Gain (menu) on 4 (or 5) and control "overall" Gain via A-Gain from 1 to 10. In case if you decide to add more power output, set Gain (menu) on 5 (or 6)

Set Sensitivity on 12-14, Threshold on 10-12. Do not do tests at home otherwise switch economy on, reduce Gain, Sensitivity a lot

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. MrBeasley

MrBeasley AKA Sectarian

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    I agree with SuchMuch. If I have menu gain on 6 then I can't use much A-Gain, in fact I never use much A-Gain. It's like turning the gas up under a pan of boiling water. Set the gains pretty low when you GB, and you can put one up until the machine starts to catch the pops which I don't mind hearing a few, so I know the machines on the edge.

Usually I run menu gain on 4 and A-Gain nob no more than about 4 also. Tweak the A-Gain and if the machine starts misbehaving it's time to reduce it a bit. Sorex Pro is a sparky sensitive unit and you don't need high settings to get good performance in my opinion.

4. SuchMuch

Address:
    Saint Petersburg, Russia
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) Ultra
    It seems to me, grounds are mineralized in yr both cases therefore keeping Sensitivity higher is more preferable than keeping Gain higher, pls read this thread: Gain vs ST (Sensitivity), RT (Threshold)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  5. MrBeasley

MrBeasley AKA Sectarian

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    Mineral levels are low SuchMuch, but I think your right with the advice. The gain settings hold a lot of power and I find medium settings are nice for searching. And as you say, sensitivity can then be raised on many occasions.

Lasted edited by : Feb 1, 2019
  6. SuchMuch

Address:
    Saint Petersburg, Russia
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) Ultra
    If the reason is conductive ground than reducing Gain is the right way as well as choosing lower frequency. For instance, if you have to keep Gain on very low running 20 kHz coil, then substitute it with 14 kHz coil, then 12 kHz ->7 kHz ->3 kHz

7. MrBeasley

MrBeasley AKA Sectarian

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    I have the 7kz DD stock round coil

8. SuchMuch

Address:
    Saint Petersburg, Russia
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) Ultra
    Next time try it with Gain and Sensitivity on higher than you keep for 20 kHz. But I think 12/14 kHz should be tried first prior to jumping to 7 kHz. Do you switch GS Filter on when hunting with high freq. coils?

9. MrBeasley

MrBeasley AKA Sectarian

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    I only have the 7khz coil. I have been thinking of getting higher frequency and maybe a little larger coil. I like the look of the MARS Discovery coils.