Hunting USA

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Ethane, May 20, 2018.

1. Ethane

Ethane Dutch Throll

Address:
    Amersfoort (Stadhuisplein), Netherlands
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    6:12 PM
    First Name:
    Jacco
    Signum:
    MFD (2.06)
    I was watching a documentary about Native America back in the old days and the history about it. That made me wonder something.. Why I mostly see only dimes and that kind of coins or civil war thing where the history is such rich in that country? I mean all the European coming over seas to America should have bring a lot of coins as well? So i mean coins before 1700? I even think their have been Vikings over there?

Its just something where im curious about. Maybe @Wayne knows this?

mario costa likes this.
  2. Ringmoney

Ringmoney AKA Veteran

Address:
    Edenderry, Republic of Ireland
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    5:12 PM
    First Name:
    Niall
    Only Registered Users Can See Links.

3. TS
    TS
    Ethane

Ethane Dutch Throll

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    First Name:
    Jacco
    Signum:
    MFD (2.06)
    Thank you, but I mean most of them are parkhunting etc. I dont see much of those coins from USA detectorist. My question is more why we just see them park hunting that much and not after the colonial items etc. Is it hardly to locate, they are not interesting in, or are the locations not reachable due to city buildings etc?

4. Wayne

Wayne Guest

Local Time:
    One of the most prized coins in the US are of course early American gold coins and early Spanish silver reals .
    I've managed to find one real 1802 at an old home site. A lot of the old sites are off limits. Or covered with concrete or black top. The east coast is the prime area for the old coins even coins from England 1600s or earlier. There's a young guy in Vermont that hunts old home sites and cellar holes. Check out Green Mountain Metal Detecting. The site where I found the real is a log cabin with newer siding on it. To look at it you'd never know.

Lasted edited by : May 21, 2018
    Rew likes this.
  5. Rew

Rew Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Address:
    London, United Kingdom
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    Do many early American gold coins come up each yaer Wayne??
    I suppose it's the same in all countries. Research the area and look for the earliest settlement sites.

6. Wayne

Wayne Guest

Local Time:
    Rew , your exactly right , and yes every so often a lucky fellow hits a gold coin or a spill of silver and gold. Civil War sites are a good place to look. I watched a guy dig a civil war breastplate and then still something in the hole , four large silver coins and three gold. That poor soldier probably died on that very spot.

Rew likes this.
  7. ghound

ghound AKA Sectarian

Address:
    Edgware (Colindale), United Kingdom
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    Signum:
    MFD (2.05)
    There's plenty of 1700's colonial King George coppers found, many Hibernian Irish coins as well, maybe as there was plenty of folk who left here for the new world, or through trading?
    There was at least 17 US presidents who's parents/grandparents etc came from Northern Ireland, President Jackson's parents home place is 10mins from my house.

Ethane and Wayne like this.
  8. KVM2

KVM2 AKA Novice

Address:
    Newark, United States
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    12:12 PM
    First Name:
    Larry
    I had a friend come in from Jersey (State-New Jersey) Where we would find colonials, and British coins in pretty fair amounts. I went to an early house for this town 1805 and found a well worn 1801 draped bust large cent, that may have come over with the New England settlers .. Thing here is Dave picked up an 1740.s George something penny corroded... There were no English here then, Indians.. No metal used except for native copper items.. And, I am getting an invite to scan an indian village site with hopes of finding the elusive copper items for the archaeologists.

Rew, Wayne, SuchMuch and 1 other person like this.
  9. TS
    TS
    Ethane

Ethane Dutch Throll

Address:
    Location on Map:
    Local Time:
    First Name:
    Jacco
    Signum:
    MFD (2.06)
    Thats sounding very cool mate!!!! Keep us informed!