• AKAForums.ru

Русскоязычная версия форума (требуется отдельная регистрация).
    Все о металлоипоиске с детекторами АКА на русском языке!

EMI Filter And Small Targets Missed

Discussion in 'Single Frequency AKA Metal Detector Discussions' started by SuchMuch, Sep 28, 2019.

1. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Administrator Staff Member

Local Time:
    2:39 AM
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) Ultra
    Me and friend of mine use the same frequency 12 kHz (friend hunts with Signum Pro, I hunt with Sorex Ultra), as result EMI interference is a frequent guest. My settings are MM algorithm with EMI Filter set to 0 and MSF/SSF algorithms with EMI Filter set to 8...15. If Signum is seen in vicinity I choose MSF algorithm (EMI Filter is activated), should Sig goes away from me I switch back to MM algorithm (EMI Filter is switched off). MM algorithm with MM Rate set to 1 or 2 is my main algorithm to hunt any targets. So, hunting with Signum when both hunters prefer 12 kHz means never ending switching between algorithms (programs by fact), thanks to AKA it is done in 1 click.

Last trip I found a good signal (long straight hodograph) in silver/copper zone and was going to dig it out when friend approched closer and Sorex started to produce false signals, as usual I switched to MSF algorithm (EMI Filter set to 8) and EMI was gone. We had talk for several seconds and then I had to relocate signal centre in order to dig target out. I was not able to find signal centre since Sorex produced only barely heard RT sound with no hodograph at all! Once per 3-4 swings it produced iffy signal in foil zone with round shaped hodograph and sometimes short straight hodo. I changed angle of swinging direction by 90 degrees and nothing changed. I switched back to MM algorithm (EMI Filter is switched off) and here you are the good signal appeared from nowhere. I switched again to MSF (EMI Filter is set to 8) and signal was gone. I switched EMI Filter off for MSF algorithm and signal was back again with good sound and long straight hodograph. I dug signal out and it turned into small flat square piece of copper with size of a small nail. As you understanad good targets produce the very same signal subject copper piece produced.

The morale of this fable is that the best way to supress EMI interference is to choose another frequency that does not interfer with EMI source and it's better not to active filters until they are really needed.

Romulus and pasadete like this.
  2. pasadete

pasadete Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Local Time:
    1:39 AM
    First Name:
    Rosendo
    Signum:
    MFD (2.06)
    What says AKA about this?
    By default EMI Filter is enabled to 6 in factory progs

3. TS
    TS
    SuchMuch

Local Time:
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) Ultra
    No Idea. I didn't report them

4. pasadete

pasadete Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Local Time:
    1:39 AM
    First Name:
    Rosendo
    Signum:
    MFD (2.06)
    I have tried to put EMI off and I lose stability, the only way I can stabilize with all filters off (gs filter / zone, emi, etc.) is going down st to 10 and raising gain to 8. Still the first pass on iron It always gives a positive signal, the following identifies it well.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 13, 2019 at 7:17 PM, Original Post Date: Oct 13, 2019 at 7:15 PM ---
    GS 005

5. TS
    TS
    SuchMuch

Local Time:
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) Ultra
    Lot's of Gain.